When you start building your course we'll create a course roadmap for you that will detail the specific standards. Once your course is ready to be published, you can submit your course for review.
There are 3 important standards to keep in mind:
- Courses should contain at least 30 minutes of video content
- Courses should be well structured to deliver on learning objectives.
- Audio should be clear and intelligible; Video should be clear and high-definition.
Short Course Standards
- On a topic within one of HeatSpring's top level course subjects (e.g. solar, wind, green building, microgrid etc) or a topic related to an existing HeatSpring course.
- Provides participants with accurate, up-to-date, and actionable information, knowledge, and skills
- Contains specific, technical, real-world information (as opposed to general or theoretical information)
- Should have one specific audience in mind (and specify their pre-existing knowledge, skills, level of experience, etc. on the sales page)
- Is original material that is not publicly-available anywhere else
- Must include 30-minutes of lecture video at a minimum
- Must include at least one supporting assignment. Some instructors include lots of these, examples include readings, links to publicly-available resources, or tools (e.g. Excel calculators)
- May include a quiz to test participants’ understanding of the material
- May include discussion questions (if the instructor would like to encourage interaction on the discussion board)
- Should be a narrated slideshow that has been recorded using a screen recording software like Camtasia
- May contain an introductory portion with video of the instructor speaking to the camera but should not include video of the instructor throughout
- Should not contain dates (e.g. September 2016) or references to upcoming course sessions (since the content will likely be used for several years)
- Should not contain hyperlinks since they will not be clickable in the video
- Related websites can be linked as separate items in the course itself
- Must be a minimum of 30 minutes
- Though you’re welcome to “break up” or organize the content however you see fit, we recommend that you provide at least 1 hour of content
- Should cover a single topic in some depth
- Should provide real-world examples and images whenever possible
- Slides should not have any branding or logos on them
- Should not use slide transitions other than a simple fade in/out
- Should only include the instructor’s contact information if s/he is okay with being contacted directly by participants
- May mention that certain concepts or topics are covered in more depth in a full, premium course
- PDF copy of slides may be included in course as a downloadable resource
- Video should be created using Camtasia or a comparable screen recording software
- Export file should be an MP4 file with 720p resolution or better.
- Details on ideal export settings for HeatSpring videos: https://wistia.com/doc/export-settings
- Should sound like the viewer is in a quiet room listening to the instructor
- Should not have background noise (e.g. dog barking, whirring fan, static, other voices, rustling of clothing, traffic sounds, phone or desktop notifications)
- Instructor should mute any phone or desktop notifications before recording
- Should be recorded using a professional USB-connected microphone. Our top recommendation is the Blue Yeti USB Microphone or if you prefer a more affordable headset style Logitech USB Headset H340